30D

[30D] 100-400 IS USM L lens getting cold. Neil Mon Oct 20 01:06:44 2008

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone else gets this problem, when this lens gets cold,
the motors seize up, rendering it useless. (Error 99 I think comes up.)

Its not that cold in the UK yet, but on a couple of visits to a nature
reserve, I was left having to 'wear' the lens under my coat and jumper
to warm it up before I could use it again.

Something this expensive will be totally useless in the winter if this
is a common temperature problem.
Putting a towel or other cover around it isn't really an option as its
a barrel lens and obviously needs to be moved.

Regards,

Neil.