Supertraining

Re: [Supertraining] Exercise and Metabolism Bill Ryan Wed Jun 24 11:01:32 2009

I have read a few studies that compared post exercise calorie burn of
resistance exercise and cardiovascular exercise that found there was
significantly more calories burned post exercise for resistance training than
cardiovascular training. I have to dig up the studies.

Bill Ryan
Havertown, Pa

--- On Sun, 6/21/09, carruthersjam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From: carruthersjam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Supertraining] Exercise and Metabolism
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sunday, June 21, 2009, 2:20 PM

The below may be of interest:
http://humankinetic s.wordpress. com/2009/ 06/09/how- effective- is-after-
burn-after- exercise/ #more-3893

There is a long-held belief that exercise can turn you into a fat-burning
machine. The idea is based on the suggestion that fat burning occurs not just
during exercise but also long after your workout is over. Post-exercise burn,
so the theory goes, is instrumental in losing unwanted weight.

As it turns out, however, like so many headlines touting weight-loss miracles,
this one is probably more myth than fact according to an article titled
`Exercise improves fat metabolism in muscle but does not increase 24-hour fat
oxidation' that appeared recently in Exercise and Sport Sciences Review

Edward Melanson, an exercise physiologist from the University of Colorado and
lead author of the article said "To our surprise, we have found that moderate
duration exercise has little, if any, effect on 24-hour fat oxidation
(burning)."

Melanson used an interesting design to challenge the long-held belief that
exercise enhances fat burning. Sixty-five candidates of varying fitness level
and girth (well trained and sedentary, lean and obese) all cycled at varied
intensities until they burned 400 calories, after which they were monitored for
24 hours – a period that exceeds most other studies by several hours. All were
monitored in closed quarters and were able to eat during the 24-hour period.
None posted results that suggested enhanced fat burning during or after their
workouts.

The study has caused quite a stir among fitness experts who now have to think
twice before suggesting that exercise boosts metabolism in the short or long
term.

Before people begin putting their feet up in protest, keep in mind that this
study in no way diminishes the value of regular exercise. Working up a sweat is
still one of the best things people can do for their health. Regardless of the
amount of fat that may or may not be burned post-workout, there's no denying
that a moving body burns more calories per minute than a sedentary one.

The message about fat burning has always been confusing for the average
exerciser wanting to get rid of a little extra baggage. The often-touted
premise that certain forms of exercise or that working out at a certain
intensity can selectively burn off unwanted fat stores is without scientific
merit.

In fact, the fixation on fat burning is misguided. When it comes to achieving
weight loss goals, any calorie burned is a good one – whether it be in the form
of fat, carbohydrate or protein. As long as we burn more calories than we
consume, the weight will come off.

According to Pascal Imbreault, associate professor at Ottawa University's
School of Human Kinetics, any exercise-related after-burn usually runs its
course within 15 to 35 minutes of completing a workout. While the actual number
of calories expended during this time varies according to exercise intensity,
duration and the body weight of the exerciser, he describes the resulting
calorie burn to be "very minimal."

Imbreault suggests that exercise doesn't do much to crank up metabolism over
the long term either, despite what the headlines in fitness magazines claim.
"Exercise is not that powerful," he said.

By making healthy food choices and cutting portion size to reduce the number of
calories consumed on more days than not, anyone can become a calorie-burning
machine that slowly but steadily loses excess body weight.