blfs-dev

Re: Use of Mesa in Xorg Guy Dalziel Mon Jun 01 04:01:19 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 10:19:03AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> It's perfectly valid (although not recommended) to have a
> DRI-less X system, so it could stay recommended, but that
> means xdriinfo has to be optional somehow.

In the past I would build without Mesa as I have no use for 3d.
I use the nv drivers which barely have any 3d support so it
worked out just fine. In the past I've usually compiled only
what was necessary for an X installation, so I guess xdriinfo
isn't part of the necessary packages. I didn't have the energy
to only go through what was necessary this time.
However, in a full X install - as described in the book - Mesa
would be necessary. It's a nitpick really, but when I see Mesa
listed as recommended I think to myself, "I'll save some time
and not bother with it", and that leads to xdriinfo complaining.