cross-lfs

Re: How to know when to build 32bit libs? Ken Moffat Fri Oct 13 12:09:06 2006

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 09:06:13AM +0000, John Gay wrote:

> Several packages build 32bit libs first, then install the 64bit version, but
> not all of them? So, how will I know when I need to do this when I continue
> on with BLFS?

 For blfs you will need to understand what you want to achieve.
x86_64 is comparatively easy - 64-bit is faster, the files aren't a
lot bigger, and it's easy to specify a box with adequate memory.  So,
on that arch the only good reason to use 32-bit apps is because you
need to (generally, this means binaries and perhaps codecs,
occasionally going 32-bit saves some aggravation, e.g building
lesstif as 64-bit, so I'm probably going to move to 32-bit xpdf on
my future multilib builds, or even drop it entirely in favour of
kpdf).

 As Jim said, in clfs, we build all libraries in both sizes.  For
the blfs applications, you need to work out what you intend to build
as 32-bit, then trace back through the dependencies to see which
libraries you will build twice.  For modular X (in other words _any_
32-bit app that links to an X lib) that probably means two of
everything except fonts (you can symlink those for the other size).

 For the 64-bit libraries, you need to make sure that they respect
your --libdir specification, or whatever other workaround you are
using for the particular package.  Most people who build for multilib
end up with some libraries in an inappropriate directory when they
first try it, and occasionally when they try a new version of a
package.  So, logging the installs is extremely important.

 BTW, most people are now using the lists at lists.cross-lfs.org.

Ken