dishmod

[dishmod] Re: Dish Offer vs Court Order William Green Fri Jun 19 08:00:58 2009

Don't be too quick to sing Dish's praises. I too had a good deal with them
until my contract expired but since then, they have jacked my monthly payment
periodically in a seemingly whimsical manner. I am paying $20 more a month now
than I was six months ago for the same programming package. Why??? But I will
pay the price as long as I can transfer my recordings. If they ever begin
encrypting everything, then I will have to consider all the other options which
may not be any more attractive. Let's face it, for those of us in the boonies
with no land-line TV available, we are hostages to whatever the satellite
providers choose to charge us.

Within the next year, I plan to move to an urban area to greatly increase my
options. With the advent of fiber optics to the home, the time is coming when
there will be fierce competition among the various communications services for
our business and prices will almost certainly fall sharply for all-in-one
packages of phone/internet/TV service. The satellite providers need to become
pretty creative to compete when their service is inherently far inferior to
land-based services.