dovecot

Re: [Dovecot] Lots of pop3-logins Dave McGuire Thu Jun 25 10:01:20 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 10:07 AM, Rodman Frowert wrote:
Doing a "ps aux" on my Slackware box, I have approx 100 PID's of "pop3-login's going on. This is a production mail server, but it is getting VERY low traffic. In fact, only 3 people can "pop3" into it. I've check their e-mail clients, and they are not checking mail any more often than every 5 minutes.

This is a new installation and I've had the server up and running since Sunday. If it matters, I'm using Postfix for the MTA and using the Dovecot SASL library to AUTH SMTP.

Is this a cause for concern? Why does Dovecot need this many processes?

Take a look at your log file. Is there a dictionary attack taking place? I get this all the time. I want to find these little cracker kiddies and break their fingers.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL