dovecot

Re: [Dovecot] Lots of pop3-logins Jose Celestino Thu Jun 25 11:00:37 2009

On Qui, 2009-06-25 at 10:01 -0700, V S Rao wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Doing a "ps aux" on my Slackware box, I have approx 100  PID's of
> > "pop3-login's going on.  This is a production mail server, but it is
> > getting VERY low traffic.  In fact, only 3 people can "pop3" into it.  I've
> > check their e-mail clients, and they are not checking mail any more often
> > than every 5 minutes.
> >
> > This is a new installation and I've had the server up and running since
> > Sunday.  If it matters, I'm using Postfix for the MTA and using the Dovecot
> > SASL library to AUTH SMTP.
> >
> > Is this a cause for concern?  Why does Dovecot need this many processes?
> >

> >> Because dovecot preforks the *-login processes to speed-up the login.
>
> >> No need to worry.
>
> 100 login sessions for just 3 connections? That is not right, no matter what.

No, login_processes_count matters.

-- Jose Celestino SAPO.pt::Systems http://www.sapo.pt
Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from smart
people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart
terminals.