engine-users

Re: [Engine-Users] adding belongs_to to an application model from an engine James Adam Thu Oct 30 07:01:09 2008

On 30 Oct 2008, at 13:35, Raphael Bauduin wrote:

Hi,

I have an Instance model in my application, to which I want to add a
has_many :web_file_attachment from the plugin.
I tried putting this in my plugin's app/model/instance.rb :
 class Instance < ActiveRecord::Base
   has_many :web_file_attachments , :dependent => :destroy
 end

but it doesn't seem to work.

The engines plugin doesn't mix model code (yet), so it's unlikely that your plugin model is being loaded.

A better way to do this would be to add a 'macro' method to ActiveRecord::Base, which you can then call in your main application model, along the lines of

  app/models/instance.rb

  class Instance < ActiveRecord::Base
     # other stuff...
     has_web_file_attachments
  end

This would give you more flexibility, I think.

The main reason why your current setup doesn't work, is that the engines plugin isn't loading your plugin model.

James