habari-dev

[habari-dev] Re: Habari Extras plugins svn Michael C. Harris Thu Jun 25 02:00:46 2009

2009/6/25 Ali B. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Michael C. Harris <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> 2009/6/25 Ali B. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> > Contiuning from my answer on the previous quesion: What if, within the
>> > intial release of the plugin (plugin version 0.1), you wanted to have a
>> > version that is compatible with Habari 0.7? You create a branch from the
>> > trunk for Habari 0.7 support and make the plugin compatible with 0.7.
>> You
>> > tag it 0.7-0.1. When you want to add the cool feature or fix the nasty
>> bug
>> > on the 0.7 "edition" of the plugin, you commit your change and tag that
>> > branch 0.7.
>>
>> Why not have trunk compatible with 0.7 and tag from there ? Fixes for
>> nasty bugs can be committed to trunk and merged to the 0.6 branch.
>>
>> That may work. Although, if there are significant changes between
> 0.7-compatible plugin code and 0.6-compatible (or any two successive habari
> versions, for that matter), merging may not be as easy and probably won't
> appeal to many.

That will be an issue wherever the fix is coming from, whether trunk or a
branch. Thankfully, plugins tend to be small, so fixing a merge shouldn't be
too hard.

--
Michael C. Harris, School of CS&IT, RMIT University
http://twofishcreative.com/michael/blog