BMW-Mini-Cooper@yahoogroups.com

Re: [bulk]: Re: [bulk]: [BMW-Mini-Cooper] Newbie Questions David Masucci Mon Jul 28 10:01:23 2008

John,

Both concepts use a form of air pump to increase the air pressure at the air
intake of the engine. The point is to raise the air pressure above normal
atmospheric....this is called boost and it's measured is PSI (lbs per square
inch above atmospheric). It's the easiest way to increase the performance of
any internal combustion engine. It's done either with a belt driven pump (a
supercharger), or an exhaust driven pump (a turbocharger). The turbo has a
set of impellers (like fan blades) in the path of the exhaust flow. A shaft
is connected between the exhaust impellers and the compressor (air pump)
impellers.

In the old S, if you increased the speed of the supercharger by changing the
pulley, you increase the boost!!

Dave

----- Original Message -----
From: "jlbanta_1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 3:02 PM
Subject: [bulk]: Re: [bulk]: [BMW-Mini-Cooper] Newbie Questions

> Thanks for pointing that out Dave. I was aware that the new S's were
> Turbocharged rather than Supercharged but due to my lack of knowledge
> about either, I wasn't aware that the same pulley mod couldn't be
> performed on a Turbo engine.
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "David Masucci"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> John the new "S" is Turbocharged. I'm sure there are other
> horsepower adders
>> out there for the new car, but the pully upgrade is only for the
>> Supercharged engines. And yes adding these things while still
> under
>> warranty can cause issues.
>> Dave
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "jlbanta_1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2008 6:46 PM
>> Subject: [bulk]: Re: [bulk]: [BMW-Mini-Cooper] Newbie Questions
>> > Thanks Gary, so about how much HP does the pulley mod add? If I
> were
>> > to buy a new S, would you recommend not modifying/upgrading
> anything
>> > until the warranty has expired? Do the dealerships frown on
> certain
>> > upgrades and conveniently use it as an excuse to deny warranty
> work?
>> > I'd be ok with leaving it stock throughout the warranty period and
>> > then afterward I could look into some basic upgrades.
>> > To just lay it out, I want a FAST car. I want FAST over luxury
>> > options. The models I have configured on the website are very
>> > stripped down, even on the S where I could've added more options
> and
>> > still been way below the cost of a JCW, I still left packages
> such as
>> > Conv, Cold Weather, Premium off the list, no sunroof either. I
> had to
>> > go with the multifunction steering wheel though. Other options I'm
>> > pretty set on are the chrome-lined interior w/anthracite
> headliner,
>> > sport stripes, (I like the sport stripes better than the bonnet
>> > stripes because they go down the rear hatch also. I think that
> looks
>> > so cool) and depending on what color I decide on, perhaps the
> chrome-
>> > lined exterior. I think a chrome-lined exterior would look very
> nice
>> > on a darker color such as British Racing Green or Lightning Blue.
> I
>> > also like the looks of the white turn signals up against a darker
>> > color. Oh, and I'm almost 100% certain I will order a white roof.
>> > Decisions, decisions. Oh well, it's all gonna work out just fine:)
>> >
>> >
>> > --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "GHP" <gary@> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> John,
>> >>
>> >> I have an 03 "S" which I had the 15% pulley installed...man,
> what a
>> > difference! It was worth the money and after all, he was replacing
>> > the radiator anyway.
>> >>
>> >> I get about 1 MPG less, but then again, I don't hammer the engine
>> > all the time either.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Cheers
>> >> Gary
>> >>
>> >>   ----- Original Message -----
>> >>   From: jlbanta_1
>> >>   To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> >>   Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 10:37 PM
>> >>   Subject: [bulk]: Re: [bulk]: [BMW-Mini-Cooper] Newbie Questions
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>   Well, now ya got me thinkin about the S. Only thing is I'm less
>> >>   likely to perform the upgrades to the engine, etc. It's up in
> the
>> > air
>> >>   at this point, I have time to make up my mind. I have several
>> >>   different versions of both an S and JCW's configured on the
>> > website.
>> >>   In all honesty, the color choice is going to be the single most
>> >>   difficult choice to make for me. I'm so familiar with the site
>> > now
>> >>   that I breeze right through configuring a model but then I sit
>> > and
>> >>   make change after change on color combos, too fun! Regarding
> the
>> >>   website, It's such a fun website but I wish it would give you
>> >>   more 'view' choices. I'd like to be able to see more of the
> roof,
>> >>   maybe a 360 view of the entire car. Also, better shots of the
>> >>   interior. I thought of something funny the other day... how the
>> > Non-
>> >>   S owners say "Just A Cooper". Do you think in time, the S
> owners
>> > will
>> >>   be saying "Just an S" to a JCW owner? :)
>> >>   Thanks again for your responses, John
>> >>
>> >>   --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], joe beck <yoni5588@>
>> > wrote:
>> >>   >
>> >>   > hi all when reading all the posts on  this matter i feel i
>> > should
>> >>   give my 5 cent worth , first JCW has been around for some time
>> > and
>> >>   mostly does some good stuff with the mini , for the last 30 odd
>> > year
>> >>   they have laid there hat on the work . but there are other good
>> >>   companies out there who also do some great work with mini ,
> they
>> >>   maynot be as well known as JCW  but they do very good works . i
>> > guess
>> >>   if it is about a name then go with the JCW  but if you are in
> for
>> > the
>> >>   Drive  , then you have many good options out there . My MINI
> ONE
>> > 03
>> >>   called MIMI  is a Ghost  which means  does not look any
> diffrant
>> >>   froma stock model MINI ONE  but i have blowed the doors of a
> few
>> >>   Porsche 911's with great supprizes to there owners . and i have
>> > done
>> >>   this for all under $10,000 US  . i would Say that england still
>> > has
>> >>   the best  companies to do this kind of work  and are also
>> > authorise
>> >>   by BMW to do the work not to plug a company  but Lohen Co does
>> > some
>> >>   great
>> >>   > work.  so i would say if you want to buy the flavor of the
>> > month
>> >>   JCW then go for it but i have noticed like last month it was
> the
>> >>   clubman! i say buy any MINI ONE, MINI Copper , MINI Copper S
> and
>> > you
>> >>   can not go wrong and have the extar work done to suit your type
>> > of
>> >>   driving  and not go for something that  is a package  as you
>> > might
>> >>   find yourself only useing 50% of it and the rest due to your
>> > driving
>> >>   needs  or roads not really being used . I live in Barbados
> where
>> > we
>> >>   have winding roads  with not many straight-o-ways so i need
> good
>> >>   corering with Ability , fast power and not body sway . brakes
> are
>> >>   important  but  i do not need  as much power for the staight-o-
>> > ways
>> >>   as ther are not that many . i find a MINI would be a waste to
>> > drive
>> >>   on a long  motoways /hwy with not corners to brighten up the
> road
>> >>   >  so with upgrade of good suspension , sway bars  (front,back
>> > and
>> >>   below ) upgraded brakes , cold induction air flow , uridium
> spark
>> >>   plugs and a re-maping of the computer
>> >>   >  i fly like a kite  with out spending so much money for the
>> > little
>> >>   name plate .  however if Lotus ever did a  package for a MINI i
>> > would
>> >>   look at it .
>> >>   > --- On Wed, 7/23/08, Mac <ammomac_99@> wrote:
>> >>   > From: Mac <ammomac_99@>
>> >>   > Subject: [bulk]: Re: [bulk]: [BMW-Mini-Cooper] Newbie
> Questions
>> >>   > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> >>   > Date: Wednesday, July 23, 2008, 9:01 AM
>> >>   > I agree with you totally - we have 2 MINIs in the drive, an
> 04
>> > S
>> >>   with the full JCW kit and an
>> >>   > 08 base Clubman.
>> >>   > no way would I waste the money for the JCW or even the S for
>> > that
>> >>   matter.
>> >>   >
>> >>   > the base model works REALLY well.
>> >>   > M
>> >>   >
>> >>   > --- In BMW-Mini-Cooper@ yahoogroups. com, "Wintle, Mark"
>> >>   <M.Wintle@ .> wrote:
>> >>   > > If you want it and can afford it -- go for it! I'm guessing
>> > the
>> >>   ride
>> >>   > > would be too uncomfortable for me. The stock Cooper strikes
>> > an
>> >>   amazing
>> >>   > > balance between good manners/smooth ride and sportiness.
> Any
>> >>   adjustment
>> >>   > > either way would make me unhappy.
>> >>   > >
>> >>   > > be a little more than I need but hey, it's available, so
> why
>> > not
>> >>   go
>> >>   > > for it? (I keep asking myself that question) I am self-
>> > employed
>> >>   > > earning about 85% of my income in the warm weather months.
>> > Winter
>> >>   > > time is slim-pickin' s. My plan is to do my best to save a
>> > nice
>> >>   down
>> >>   > > payment, order the JCW (or perhaps an S)in March of '09.
>> > Should
>> >>   be in
>> >>   > > by May or so. All the Winter salt should be off the roads
>> > and 'A
>> >>   > > Motoring I Shall Go'! Well, that's the plan, everyone cross
>> > your
>> >>   > > fingers for me :)
>> >>   > > I'm sure I'll bother you with some more questions now &
>> >>   then. 'Til
>> >>   > > then, I'll keep on reading and learning from your posts.
>> >>   > > Thanks, John from Wisconsin
>> >>   > >
>> >>   > > --- In BMW-Mini-Cooper@ yahoogroups. com
>> >>   > > <mailto:BMW- Mini-Cooper% 40yahoogroups. com> , "Wintle,
> Mark"
>> >>   > > <M.Wintle@>
>> >>   > > wrote:
>> >>   > > >
>> >>   > > > 1. If you've never owned a sports car before (like me)
> then
>> >>   The
>> >>   > > price
>> >>   > > > is very reasonable as it is. I've heard some people say
>> > that
>> >>   buying
>> >>   > > a
>> >>   > > > MINI is like getting a turbo BMW for half-price.
>> >>   > > >
>> >>   > > > 5. The retooling for the 2007+ models is so extensive
> that
>> > I
>> >>   think
>> >>   > > it
>> >>   > > > makes sense to look at the newer model first. But they
> all
>> >>   retain
>> >>   > > their
>> >>   > > > value so well that you won't save a huge amount over
>> > ordering
>> >>   one
>> >>   > > that
>> >>   > > > is configured just the way you want it.
>> >>   > > >
>> >>   > > > 6. A white top is "traditional. " The racing stripes add
> a
>> > lot
>> >>   and
>> >>   > > make
>> >>   > > > the car go significantly faster. A roof decoration (like
> a
>> >>   Union
>> >>   > > Jack)
>> >>   > > > really adds character, as do side-mirror decorations. But
>> >>   beauty
>> >>   > > is, of
>> >>   > > > course, in the eye of the beholder.
>> >>   > > >