BMW-Mini-Cooper@yahoogroups.com

Re: [BMW-Mini-Cooper] Overheating Kent Miller Sun Aug 09 00:00:08 2009

I don't know what you've got on your '02 Cooper, but my '02 Cooper S,
with Dunlop run flats, rides like an ox cart on New Orleans' crude
streets.  I've heard that the newer models are much improved in this
area (both the MINIs themselves, and run-flat tires in general), but I
haven't experienced them to know.

In general, however, your dealer is correct, and for the reason he
stated.  The additional sidewall height of the 16" tires (probably 55-
series tires) v. 17" tires (probably 50-series), will provide
additional cushioning, all other things being equal.  Again, I don't
know if this will be the case, but often the larger wheel size/lower
profile tires will come in a "sport" package, which may have stiffer
springs/shocks, thus firming the ride even more.  That was true with
the '02 Cooper S.  I'm glad I didn't get the sport package on mine.

I'm nearing the end of life on the original tires, and am seriously
considering a switch to non-run-flats to soften the ride somewhat.  I
don't think I'll lose too much of the sharp handling (I don't
autocross or anything).  My only concern is the risk of having no
spare - I've got a pump, and a can of fix-a-flat, but my tire dealer
says not to use that stuff, as the gunk will ruin the tire, and I'll
never get it balanced again.  But I think a plug kit might work just
as well.