Canon-10D@yahoogroups.com

Re: [Canon-10D] Lens no Focus Bruce Ward Tue Apr 03 07:01:42 2012

It's always possible that there is a problem with the lens, I've had
periodic problems with various lenses.  Do you have the camera set to
acquire focus with the shutter button in front (the default)?  If so,
when you use the focus and recompose method, if you let up on the
shutter button after first acquiring focus, then take the shot, the
focus is reset when the shot is taken.  Move the focus to the * button
in back (it's a custom function) and this problem can be avoided.  There
are also potential problems with the focus-recompose method even when
done right.  Depending on the FL and the amount of movement done to
recompose, the focal plane can be significantly shifted to the point
that things that you thought should be in focus will not be.  I use the
method, but occasionally will get fooled.

The best way to check the lens is to put the camera on a tripod, turn
off IS, use a shutter release cable, use center focus point only, and
shoot a brick wall at several FLs and apertures in good light.  Make
sure you have a good contrasting object on the wall to focus on.

Bruce Ward