Canon20D@yahoogroups.com

Re: [Canon20D] Lens cleaning Chuck Norcutt Sun Sep 24 16:23:43 2006

I don't understand the problem you are describing.  Are you saying you
see "dirt" in the picture or inside the lens itself?  And what do you
mean when you say the shutter seems to be clean?

Dirt that was inside the lens or even on the surface of the glass would
never show itself in a photo.  Same goes for a dirty shutter unless
there was a "thread" or a "feather" stuck on the shutter and being
dragged across the sensor.

Things that are on or very close to the sensor (such as dust) show
themselves as a dark spot since what we're seeing is a shadow of the
dust.  Things at a distance a bit further than the shutter out to a
short distance beyond the lens can never be in focus and so we can't see
them.  If they're very large (like the size of a coin) they might cast a
very weak and vague shadow which you probably wouldn't even notice.

Chuck Norcutt
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/index_other.php>

Fethiye wrote:

> I have the "Canon EF-S 17 - 85 mm F4 - F5.6 IS USM" lens that came
> with the camera.  Even though I am not so crazy about that lens, I
> think it is ok to use it as a daily lens for the times you do not want
> to carry much of them.  Anyway, my real problem other than it does not
> produce sharp pictures is that it has dirt in it. ;(  I have no idea
> how that happens but it has been cleaned 3 weeks ago and now I can see
> dirt at some apertures.  I am blaming the lens as the shutter does
> seem to be clean.
>
> Can it be an individual lens problem?
>
> And how does one clean a lens?
>
> Thanks in advance!