EMailMinistry@yahoogroups.com

[E-Mail Ministry] Eye Opener - E-Mail Ministry E-Mail Ministry Fri Sep 01 02:27:32 2006

The following is an E-Mail Ministry message.  If you are not already a
subscriber and would like to be, please see the bottom of this message.
UNSUBSCRIBE and CHANGE OF ADDRESS information at the end of this e-mail.

<><     <><     <><     <><     <><     <><     <><     <><     <><

EYE OPENER

I saw him in the church building for the first time on Wednesday. He was
in his mid-70's, with thinning silver hair and a neat brown suit. Many
times in the past I had invited him to come. Several other Christian
friends had talked to him about the Lord and had tried to share the good
news with him.

He was a well-respected, honest man with so many characteristics a
Christian should have, but he had never put on Christ, nor entered the
doors of the church.

"Have you ever been to a church service in your life?"  I had asked him
a few years ago.  We had just finished a pleasant day of visiting and
talking.

He hesitated. Then with a bitter smile he told me of his childhood
experience some fifty years ago. He was one of many children in a large
impoverished family.  His parents had struggled to provide food, with
little left for housing and clothing.  When he was about ten, some
neighbors invited him to worship with them.

The Sunday School class had been very exciting! He had never heard such
songs and stories before!

He had never heard anyone read from the Bible! After class was over, the
teacher took him aside and said, "Son, please don't come again dressed
as you are now. We want to look our best when we come into God's house."

He stood in his ragged, unpatched overalls. Then looking at his dirty
bare feet, he answered softly, "No, ma'am, I won't ever."

"And I never did," he said, abruptly ending our conversation.

There must have been other factors to have hardened him so, but this
experience formed a significant part of the bitterness in his heart.

I'm sure that Sunday School teacher meant well. But did she really
understand the love of Christ?  Had she studied and accepted the
teachings found in the second chapter of James?

What if she had put her arms around the dirty, ragged little boy and
said, "Son, I am so glad you are here, and I hope you will come every
chance you get to hear more about Jesus."

I reflected on the awesome responsibility a teacher or pastor or a
parent has to welcome little ones in His name. How far reaching her
influence was!

I prayed that I might be ever open to the tenderness of a child's heart,
and that I might never fail to see beyond the appearance and behavior of
a child to the eternal possibilities within.

Yes, I saw him in the church house for the first time on Wednesday.  As
I looked at that immaculately dressed old gentleman lying in his casket,
I thought of the little boy of long ago.  I could almost hear him say,
"No, ma'am, I won't ever."

And I wept.

-- Author Unknown

<><     <><     <><     <><     <><     <><     <><     <><     <><

To learn more about E-Mail Ministry and read previous messages, visit
our web site at: http://www.emailministry.org

HOW DO I SUBSCRIBE?  Send a blank e-mail to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
or go to: http://www.emailministry.org/subscribe.asp
Messages are sent out on Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays.
Subscribe now, it's FREE!

SUPPORT E-MAIL MINISTRY
E-Mail Ministry is solely supported by its subscribers.  To make a
financial contribution, go to: http://www.emailministry.org/donate.asp
E-Mail Ministry is a U.S. 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

HOW DO I SUBMIT A MESSAGE FOR E-MAIL MINISTRY?  Send it to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

HOW DO I UNSUBSCRIBE?  If you are a subscriber, send a blank e-mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
or go to: http://www.emailministry.org/unsubscribe.asp
If this message was forwarded to you from another person, please notify
them that you are not interested in receiving any further messages.

To CHANGE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS:  UNSUBSCRIBE from the old e-mail address
and SUBSCRIBE from the new e-mail address or go to:
http://www.emailministry.org/updateEmail.asp

LEGAL STUFF:  E-Mail Ministry and its sponsor run this message as
submitted and do not claim to own any copyright privileges on it.  The
work was submitted to us as an item for distribution, and it was posted
solely on the basis of its quality.  It is the belief of E-Mail Ministry
and its sponsors that this message is in the common domain.

"E-Mail Ministry" is a trademark of E-Mail Ministry, Inc.

-- The Staff of E-Mail Ministry
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    http://www.emailministry.org

Yahoo! Groups Links