Gmail-Users@googlegroups.com

Re: [Gmail-Users] Saving Gmail replies bill hansen Mon Feb 13 04:01:58 2012

As others have written, your "lost" email will be somehere, unless you put
it in the Trash and then deleted it from Trash. If you did that, you're out
of luck. But almost certainly, if you look carefully you'll find it in All
Mail or (at worst) in Trash - unless the original was more than a month
ago. In that case, Gmail will probably have deleted it.

Someone mentioned Conversation View. For what it's worth, I tried
conversation view for a little while, a few months back. I found that it
confused me, so I turned it off. I have a much easier time navigating
through my emails and finding the old ones if I have Conversation View
turned off. But that's just me; others may have the exact opposite
preference.

It's a bittle clunky, but you can prioritize mail using Stars and Labels.
Remember that you can have more than one label on a piece of email - so in
my case I might have prioritized using Stars, with a complete blank for the
least important emails, an orange star for the next level of importance,
then a red star for those I need to attend to that same day, and so on.
Beyond that I might label very important business emails with a red
"Business" Label, important family emails with a blue "Family/Friends"
label, and so on. I don't do all that, but I could, and it would work, as
long as I remembered to delete the stars and labels when I'd attended to
the emails.

Bill Hansen

I tried Conversation View for a little while, but I found that it confused
me.