Gmail-Users@googlegroups.com

Re: [Gmail-Users] Gmail sends off messages before they are completed Sarah Wed Feb 15 16:00:40 2012

Gmail has an extensive list of keyboard shortcuts that you need to enable
in Gmail settings to be able to use. Those I refer to as extended (I'll put
instructions, & links to the list below.)
However, there are some keyboard actions that work in Gmail even when you
do not have "keyboard shortcuts" enabled in Gmail settings. For instance,
the tab key takes you from the currently active field to the next field.
This is typical browser keyboard navigation (not unique to Gmail), and
allows you to move quickly around a web page using the m keyboard, without
having to use a mouse or the pad on a laptop. It's still perfectly valid to
call these shortcuts.
Gmail does not seem to make a distinction between the extended shortcuts
that you can toggle on & off, and the basic shortcut functions that work
regardless; there's nothing really wrong with that, except it's slightly
confusing.

Gmail is responsible for the order that tab moves you around the Gmail page.
Hitting "enter" on the keyboard when a link (like "send") is highlighted
has the same effect as clicking on the link. "Send" is the next field after
the text entry box, when you are composing a message, so tab takes you to
"send", and "enter" activates the "send" link.
You can use tab and enter to navigate on most webpages.

Gmail's list of shortcuts:
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6594

Using New Look:
To turn shortcuts on or off, click the gear icon at the top of any Gmail
page, and then Mail settings. Choose the option next to "Keyboard
shortcuts" to turn them on.
You can also enable shortcuts automatically by going to:
http://mail.google.com/mail/?kbd=1

About.com Guide's List of Gmail shortcuts:
http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/Use_Gmail_Keyboard_Shortcuts.htm
I have not verified these. Article amendment date is current with New Look
Gmail.

Define your own shortcuts (not recommended for novices):
Turn on the "Custom Keyboard Shortcuts" lab in settings.
http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/custom_keyboard.htm

You will find that Windows, and many programs on your computer also have
keyboard shortcuts; but the keystrokes and what function they perform will
differ from Gmail.
There are shortcuts that you can use in Outlook, they differ from Gmail's
shortcuts. There is a list here, look under the heading "Outlook
shortcuts", click the + buttons to expand categories:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/keyboard-shortcuts-HP003084223.aspx
In Windows help, type keyboard shortcuts, and look for a topic like
"Windows keyboard shortcuts overview" & you'll find out. Don't be daunted!
I'll send you a little more on the subject, soon - basic stuff.

Don't ya almost wish you hadn't asked now? ;-) :-)

Cheers,
Sarah