LR-LoadRunner@googlegroups.com

RE: knowladge sharing......... expecting some comments on it !!! James Pulley Tue Apr 03 07:01:59 2012

1. VUGEN has never been free.  Up until version 8.0 the purchase of a
controller granted you a license to a single copy of VUGEN.   Extras were
available in singles and bundles with pricing for VUGEN the rough equivalent
of WinRunner.   With LoadRunner 8.0 and above licensing for VUGEN became
promiscuous with a licensed controller, that is you could install as many
copies as you needed as long as you had a licensed controller.    Once your
controller expires your license to use VUGEN, Analysis and any other
component of LoadRunner also expires.    Your "interpretation" of the facts
of the license will get you in trouble.

2.  Your assumption that the libraries and capabilities are not updated from
one release to the next is also incorrect.   If you were to simply compare
the header files from one release to the next you will observe changes in
the API components from one release to the next

3.  You had better be sure that the customer you attended was not engaging
in some bad practices.  Generally when you update a controller license you
are replacing a controller, not augmenting it with a new one.   So, you
would expect of an organization under maintenance that all controllers would
be at the same release, as script compatibility is only ensured for about
two releases back.

If you believe that VUGEN is free you are mistaken.   This belief at some
point will cost you or your employer dearly in terms of license infractions.

Who am I to suggest this?  My background includes four years at Mercury from
1996-2000.  In fact April 1 represents my hiring anniversary with 16 years
continuous in the use of Mercury tools.   Since 2000 I have been a part of
the VAr community and moderator to a half a dozen forums on LoadRunner.   I
have sold VUGEN independently and as a VAR I have purchased VUGEN
independently (prior to version 8) to ensure that my development facility
was legal with its licensing for client work.   Clearly, if VUGEN was free I
would have known it given my background and there would not have been a SKU
and a price for me to purchase licenses.

James Pulley, LoadRunnerByTheHour.com