Nikon-D80@yahoogroups.com

Re: [Nikon-D80] Re: Possibly Upgrading to D7000. Any Advice? Shane Hunter Wed Feb 01 04:07:05 2012

I upgraded from the D80 to the D700 about three years ago and I have
absolutely been thrilled with the D700.  The low light capabilities alone
will blow your mind. (The first day I got my new D700, I cranked the ISO up
as far as it would go, put the white balance down to 2500k and took a
picture in my office only lit by my computer screen.  Basically a moonlight
shot and it looked great.  Crazy.)

I still have my D80, but I use it as a back up body.  I also let my second
shooter use it when I do weddings and children's portraits outdoors, and
the likes.  Anyway, you can see my work at fb.me/shanehunterphotography.

One adjustment of going to the D700 from a consumer level camera is that
there are no training wheels.  You have P, S, A, and M modes.  No auto, no
preset modes like portrait, sports, macro, etc.  The P mode is as close as
you'll get to a program mode.  But for me, taking the training wheels off
was the key to being able to shoot in manual mode full time, as I am doing
now.  Granted, I didn't use the preset modes a lot (actually, I never used
them), and stayed mainly in aperture priority, but when I went to the D700,
there was a mentality change for me, knowing that there was no safety net.

--
Shane