NikonD100_D200@yahoogroups.com

Re: [Nikon D100 D200] Re: Capture NX vs ... Marc Martineau Thu May 24 18:03:26 2007

Hi Carl...

NO problem ! :-)

I usually go to 15-25%, not much as it will flattern the image and remove
sharpen quite a bit ; and for sharpening, use 5 to 7, not more than that...
i want to keep the details on the feathers when I do bird photography...

I then do Unsharp mask....20-40 and Radius at 3 to 5...

I do lots of bird photography with pure blurred background so I can't afford
to have noise on those, and the D200 and the D2X, at 400 ISO, will produce a
fairly large amount of noise, specially if your histogram is off-center to
the left. You have to push it to the right...

What I did also recently is put the contrast config to "LOW" in the camera
menus; Yes you could still do this in Capture NX or 4.4 afterwards but it
dosn't give you the same effect. Everything is happening when you shoot, not
when you post-process... Doing so incerased the Dynamic Range of both
cameras and improve my shooting tremendosly !

Everybody knows that the pictures that comes out of any Nikon camera is
fairly contrasty compare to the big C.... ; and I have to compare and
compete with lots and lots of Canon owners in nature photography... So it
facilitate my post processing quite a bit !

hope it helps !

Marc
www.pbase.com/beluptiga