NikonD100_D200@yahoogroups.com

Re: [Nikon D100 D200] Re: Seeking Advice on Sports Shooting (Baseball) Alan Holben Tue Jun 05 18:00:40 2007

I second everything Micky said, especially about shooting behind first base.
Since most batters are righthanded, you'll get their face from first base side.
I like to position myself more or less in line with the first baseman and the
pitcher so that pickoff moves are coming right at me. You can get great action
of double plays at 2nd from that spot. Third base offers you the face shot of
the lefthanded batters plus the pickoff from the pitcher's perspective, though
it's kind of a long shot across the infield with a 200. One of my favorites,
and a popular shot with my customers, is from behind the batter so you can get
a head-on shot of the pitcher. I usually fire on full-auto to catch the whole
motion of the pitcher and then try to isolate on a good shot of just the
release. With the 18-200 you'll be able to include the batter quite nicely to
give the shot some extra perspective.

  Just as a side note, I usually talk with the umpires at the HS games I shoot
to find out what they'll allow. Since the dugouts are considered out-of-play,
you can usually shoot from them if the coach allows it. That gives you a really
good spot and also offers some protection! Also, in my area the team can
designate a "media" area where a photographer can be positioned. All it takes
is to mark off an area with chalk and notify the umpires that it exists. The
school where I shoot the most asked me where I wanted it so I was able to place
it to suit my needs. You may be able to do something similar at your games.

  Good luck,
  Alan