Professional-PHP@googlegroups.com

Re: [Pro. PHP Dev.] Zend Heath Aiken Thu Feb 02 07:04:49 2012

Zend framework (or any hard-core MVC framework for that matter) is less
about OOP PHP, trendiness, etc. and a lot more to do with software
architecture; pre-built (well-tested) libraries; and overall, a common
dialect for different programmers to use.

If the companies hiring have projects of sufficient enough size, it is in
their best interest to build it in a stable, well-tested, and popular
code-base.  That way when they bring a new programmer in (as an addition,
or to replace someone) the learning curve is narrowed down to getting
up-to-speed with the functional domain of the application, not trying to
learn someone's custom application / library.

Your issue may be that you are looking at the Zend framework / MVC from a
programmer's point of view, when you should be looking at it from a
business perspective.

I spent a few years working with the Zend framework building a corporate
CMS system (solo, I had no co-programmers).  I learned so much from using
the framework (a lot of frustrating hours spent trying to learn the
concepts).  Ironically, my next job was building custom Drupal modules (I
will never touch Drupal again, BTW. hated it), and my current job, I spend
about 90% of my day writing Javascript, and 10% building .NET webservices
to feed the Javascript.

The point of my telling you my history is that I quickly realized that all
of my hard work with the Zend framework paid off because I learned software
architecture from using it,
and that is a skill that is (in a lot of ways) more important than becoming
an expert with a language.

You could debate the merits of using an MVC framework from a programmer's
point of view, all-day-long....  What you can't debate is that using a
proven, well-tested, modular framework is a much better business decision
than allowing your programmers to build a soup of procedural code.

Just my 2 cents!

-- Heath