Supertraining@yahoogroups.com

[Supertraining] Re: Supplements and Blood Glucose Paul Rogers Mon Dec 11 12:09:15 2006

Vicki Lockwood,

I mention the following in passing because my view is that your
doctor and/or dietitan should be in charge of your health
recommendations regarding blood glucose.

However, the bitter gourd/melon or karela (Momordica charantia),
available in some supermarkets or speciality shops (in some
countries) as a fresh vegetable, has been a folk remedy for
hyperglycemica for many years. There is some scientific
confirmation that it lowers blood glucose.

Nutr Rev. 2006 Jul;64(7 Pt 1):331-7.
Bitter gourd (Momordica Charantia): A dietary approach to
hyperglycemia.
Krawinkel MB, Keding GB.

In any case, adding some to your diet should not hurt. If you
were to go on meds, you would need to mention this to your doc.

I have tried this vegetable but I can't say it is all that tasty,
although the red seeds are attractive. You can read more here,
including recipes: http://www.bittermelon.org/

Paul Rogers
Fitnesse Health and Fitness
Gympie, Australia

Modify/cancel your subscription at:

Sign all letters with full name & city of residence if you
wish them to be published!

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional