SurroundSound@googlegroups.com

RE: [SurroundSound] Re: Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Damn The Torpedoes" Deluxe Edition on Blu-ray Lokkerman Thu Dec 23 15:00:38 2010

Joe A
I agree that if they gave Flacs with it would  be ultra-buyable but looking
at the price of ROM only BD drives for a PC has totally phased me they're
more expensive than a 2TB HDD
Lokks

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Joe A
Sent: 22 December 2010 19:13
To: SurroundSound
Subject: [SurroundSound] Re: Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Damn The
Torpedoes" Deluxe Edition on Blu-ray

Lokks:

I just bought my copy of the Blu-Ray on Amazon, gotta support the artists,
right?

If this release is anything like Mojo, they gave a free download of the
48/24 stereo flacs in the package.

I understand you haven't bought into Blu-Ray yet, but you could buy it just
for the FLACs.  I will end up ripping both stereo and surround and it will
be on the hub at some point -- but consider supporting the artist, buy the
disc, and use my work as "backup".  At very least someone on the hub will
probably turn it into a DVD-A.

Plus, when I think back, I've bought music on formats I didn't own yet
-- in both the cases of DVD-A (enjoyable on DVD-V players) and SACD (for the
redbook), but also as an excuse to get my feet wet.

I undertstand if you object to Blu-Ray as a video-first format, which it is;
but this time around, unlike DVD, they didn't make compromises on the audio
side.  Blu-Ray's audio technical specs exceed those of DVD-A *(multichannel
PCM is supported, up to 7.1 channels, and support for > 96kHz in
multichannel mode) and* it's good at video too, also unlike DVD-A.

And even though you don't have Blu-Ray now, what's to say you won't have it,
grudgingly or not, down the road?  The format is successful.

I like Tom Petty but I'm not the biggest fan.  But for whatever reason,
there's lots of Petty on Blu-Ray and I'm gonna support it because I want
more.