SurroundSound@googlegroups.com

Re: [SurroundSound] Re: foobar and SACD-Rs August Bleed Wed Feb 22 10:00:21 2012

Yeah but there is a difference and it is audible when the unit is
supposedly outputting DSD.  I wouldn't think there would be if the unit in
fact wasn't doing DSD at all.  But that is what I am hearing.  I honestly
thought I'd been listening to DSD the whole time such was the difference.
 They were generally (the improvements) around pianos, vocals, and drums.
 These are the things that DSD coincidentally does very well.  Those
instruments take on a flatter (notice I didn't say flat) dynamic when I
convert to PCM. The same album by the Stones using DSD doesn't sound like
the same tracks from HDtracks which are PCM versions of DSD files.  So this
doesn't exactly make sense on one level.  OTOH either the Oppo is doing a
marvelous job at DSD, or the Yamaha is doing a remarkable job of not
touching the signal.  I unfortunately can't complain too much because it
sounds sublime--but I will think twice about the next receiver I buy that
claims to do DSD.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 8:28 AM, ArnoldLayne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> From my experience there can be an audible difference between good and
> bad DSD to PCM conversions. The rank for the gears I've had between
> pure and converted DSD would be:
>
> Pioneer DV-565A < Oppo BD-980H < Onkyo TX-NR3007.
>
> I haven't tried outputting DSD as PCM from my Oppo BD-95 yet, A
> virginity thing, sort of... :D
>

> On 22 feb, 06:02, scolumbo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The Oppo doing the conversion to PCM sounds excellent through my Denon
> > 3808 and certainly not a "night and day" difference with my Denon
> > doing the conversion.  Maybe there is something going on with your
> > Yamaha receiver that should be investigated if you are getting such
> > poor SQ with PCM input to your receiver. There should not be
> > significant differences between the Oppo doing the conversion versus
> > your receiver.
> >
> > On Feb 21, 6:45 pm, August Bleed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > > You would think if a receiver touts that as a feature they would think
> > > actually include the feature.  Not complaining about the fake DSD.
> > >  Actually sounds good.  And better than when I have the Oppo do PCM.
>  Go
> > > figure.  A fake DSD that sounds better than PCM.  Well, I do get the
> > > benefit of the light coming on for DSD recordings, even if it
> apparently is
> > > meaningless!

> the same
> management, *
> deal with
> cooperation
> decoding and
> (192kHz/24bit
> modules) and
> same
> the use
> capacitors
> concept:
> andcircuit

> what is
> only
> to say
> mine.
> seem to
> putting
> been
> my amp
> if this

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> contain the
>  The
> particular

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> on that

> did do
> it

> some
> say
> that.  It
> when I
> pump my

> to do.
> the
> Pure
> better
> sounds
> think

> correction
> even if
> must use a
> [...]

August
Bleed, Inc.
Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To a Leash And Walking It Like a Dog