adeos-main@gna.org

Re: [Adeos-main] [BUG] Interrupt recursion with libata-sff Jan Kiszka Thu May 20 06:01:46 2010

Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> Looks like your problem is x86-32 returning from interrupts with hard
>> IRQs enabled (and therefore flushing the pipeline already over the
>> interrupt handler). That should ideally be unified with x86-64 now, also
>> as x86-64 may already gain better testing than 32 bit.
>
> I may have not understood right, but from my understanding, the big
> difference between x86_32 and x86_64 is that interrupts flags are
> virtualized in x86_32's entry.S. To unify x86_32 and x86_64 would
> basically mean rewrite this. And the the two entry.S are separated, so
> x86_32 has to be tested separately from x86_64.

For sure. But there will be more synergies in arch/x86/kernel/ipipe.c
then, less #ifdefs. And the complexity of entry_32.S changes may
decrease. Moreover, given the same design, there is also a higher
probability to catch common problems.

Jan