alcoholicsanonymous@googlegroups.com

Re: Hi all. mike t Sun Feb 21 14:01:02 2010

I think I already covered that question.  Indeed there are many people who
are addicted to a variety of substances.  However it is upon those people to
separate their addiction experiences depending upon their audience.  When
someone searches out and decides upon an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting they
are expecting to hear and share experiences about alcohol addiction and
behaviors.  The so-called Anda person who is addicted to alcohol anda other
substances is being selfish by imposing their other experiences to those who
cannot relate.

Let me give you a real example.  Many years ago I lived in Pensacola, FL.
 There was a 12&12 meeting I attended occasionally that also had other 12
Step fellowships that met in the same place on other days.  Many of the
people in the AA meeting I attended also went to the other fellowships too.
 Even people from the other fellowships attended this AA meeting; we had the
drug addict, the overeater, the sex addict, the gambler, the ACOA, and the
recovering human being!  One night a brand new alcoholic newcomer came to
the meeting.  After the meeting I approached him and asked how he liked the
meeting.  He said, "I thought I came to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting but
I'm not really sure what that was."  That hit me hard and made an impression
that I am responsible to have a place for the alcoholic newcomer to come to
and relate to others.  If the message becomes muddled with things that are
not our common experiences then I am not being of service to the newcomer.