android-discuss@googlegroups.com

[android-discuss] Re: promoting android apps with youtube video? keyeslabs Fri Feb 24 10:00:20 2012

I've had excellent success with this.  For both Screebl
(https://market.android.com/details?id=com.keyes.screebl.full) and CrazyCat
(https://market.android.com/details?id=com.keyes.crazycat.androidmarket), I
created a simple introduction video that explained the app and got the user
engaged quickly.  The Screebl video has been viewed over 200,000 times.
 The things that I think are most important for success:

1. Make the video interesting.  I got a lot of people curious right off the
bat by shooting the video for this app in the forest.  I get a lot of
hilarious comments about the setting, but I really think it keeps people
engaged longer than they might be otherwise.
2. Offer the user the option to view the video IN THE APP, early in their
experience.  I pop up a dialog on first open, telling the user that there
is a video available that explains the app, and asking if they want to view
it.  I also make it available from the main menu.
3. Offer users the ability to share the video socially, from within the app.
4. Include a video feed in the app.  I also have the app check once a week
or so for new YouTube videos on a special playlist that I created.  If I
post a new video to the playlist, users will be notified and offered the
option to view the video.  I'm going to be using this feature for the first
time in the next week or so to send out a video to 250,000 active Screebl
Lite users offering them an option to upgrade to a new version of Pro,
discounted for a limited time.  I of course give users the option to
disable the video feed check.

Good luck!