android-kernel@googlegroups.com

Re: [android-kernel] RFC: a new binder driver implementation Tim Bird Thu Feb 02 19:06:53 2012

On 01/25/2012 05:41 AM, rong wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've just finished a fresh implementation of the android binder
> driver, would love to see some suggestions or comments on the code as
> well as the whole binder IPC idea.

This is really interesting.  I hope this doesn't seem rude, but
why are you doing it?  Is it just an interesting exercise, or are
you trying to develop something to replace the current driver?
Or, are you trying to develop something in the hopes that it
will have a better chance of being accepted into the mainline kernel?

The main issue you seem to be addressing is performance scalability
on SMP.  Is that right?

I'm involved with a project to try to get Android technologies
integrated into the mainline Linux kernel source tree.
See http://elinux.org/Android_Mainlining_Project

If your project gains traction, it would be useful, IMHO,
to discuss this as part of that effort.  Also, you may wish
to follow the link on that page to see what issues mainline
kernel developers have with the current binder driver, to
see if they might also apply to your driver.

Regards,
 -- Tim