android-kernel@googlegroups.com

Re: [android-kernel] intercepting syscalls Kristopher Micinski Tue Feb 14 09:02:25 2012

First of all, you have no hope of doing this on stock firmware, don't
expect anyone to be able to use your modification.

Second, if you wanted to do this, you certainly wouldn't want to
modify the system at the system call level, by that time you have
almost no information that would allow you to delineate calls from the
phone book to any other place.  The way one system solves this is
binary rewriting on apps to rewrite and use another content provider
which does these types of modifications.

If you wanted to implement this yourself, you could similarly modify
the content provider for for contacts.   This would probably be the
best way to make your change.

But the higher level point is: why in the world do you want to lie to
the contacts app?  Why not just write another app which does this
instead?

kris