applescript-users@lists.apple.com

Re: Compress PDF file Philip Aker Thu Oct 18 00:13:05 2007

On 2007-17-10, at 01:18, Wayne Melrose wrote:

I have a need to compress High Resolution PDF files down to smaller, web ready pdf files.

I have found that in '/Library/PDF Services/' folder there is a 'Compress PDF.workflow' package that is used by Automator to Compress pdfs..

Is there a way to access these package via Applescript/Command line, so that you can feed in a file and have it compress the file?

This is what is exposed in the binary:

.objc_class_name_AMBundleAction
.objc_class_name_CompressPDF
.objc_class_name_HasQualityTransformer
.objc_class_name_NSAppleEventDescriptor
.objc_class_name_NSArray
.objc_class_name_NSDictionary
.objc_class_name_NSNumber
.objc_class_name_NSSavePanel
.objc_class_name_NSString
.objc_class_name_NSURL
.objc_class_name_NSValueTransformer
_CFURLCreateFromFSRef
_CGContextBeginPage
_CGContextDrawPDFDocument
_CGContextEndPage
_CGContextRelease
_CGPDFContextCreateWithURL
_CGPDFDocumentCreateWithURL
_CGPDFDocumentGetMediaBox
_CGPDFDocumentGetNumberOfPages
_CGPDFDocumentRelease
_DisposeHandle
_FSNewAlias
_FSPathMakeRef
_FSResolveAlias
_GetHandleSize
_NSLog
___CFConstantStringClassReference
___error
_close
_kCFAllocatorDefault
_mkstemps
_objc_msgSend
_objc_msgSendSuper
_strerror

So it looks like a fairly straight-forward use of CoreGraphics APIs. You might be able to find a sample to work from on Apple's developer site.

Philip Aker
philip.aker%40shaw.ca