applescript-users@lists.apple.com

Re: Do shell script question - timeouts Joe Sun Apr 01 17:00:07 2012

Not certain if this helps…

The link you provided led me to a comment here:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13388/bonjour-browser

Quote:
There is a command-line utility testing and reporting tool for multicast DNS in
the current builds of both Tiger and Leopard. Called 'dns-sd' (with sd as
shorthand for Service Discovery) it's a replacement for the less-informative
mDNS command. dns-sd is meant for interactive service discovery, not for
scripting (its API's, however, are listed in /usr/include/dns_sd.h.)

Obviously, 'man dns-sd' will explain it far better than I.

This is from the man page OMM, 10.7.3:
dns-sd(1)                 BSD General Commands Manual                dns-sd(1)

NAME
     dns-sd -- Multicast DNS (mDNS) & DNS Service Discovery (DNS-SD) Test Tool

SYNOPSIS
     dns-sd -R name type domain port [key=value ...]

     dns-sd -B type domain

     dns-sd -L name type domain

DESCRIPTION
     The dns-sd command is a network diagnostic tool, much like ping(8) or
     traceroute(8).  However, unlike those tools, most of its functionality is
     not implemented in the dns-sd executable itself, but in library code that
     is available to any application.  The library API that dns-sd uses is
     documented in /usr/include/dns_sd.h.  The dns-sd command replaces the
     older mDNS(1) command.

     The dns-sd command is primarily intended for interactive use.  <SNIP>