atom-syntax@imc.org

Re: draft-sneddon-atom-export (Was: Exporting a blog using Atom) Peter Keane Tue Mar 31 17:01:50 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:52 AM, James Holderness <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Peter Keane wrote:
>>
>> The fact that they don't use @label makes it trivial to have the
>> category not display in environments where it shouldn't.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting here. In which environments
> should categories without labels NOT be displayed? Would you consider a feed
> reader such an environment?
>
> If so, are you suggesting that existing feed readers be rewritten to follow
> this new rule? And would feed publishers with simple term-only categories
> now need to add labels to all those categories in order to have them
> displayed in these newly-rewritten feed readers?
>
> That sounds like an awful lot of pain for what you regard as an "elegant"
> solution. Is "elegant" maybe slang for "dumbest idea ever"?

I actually hardly ever think of the case of feed readers when I think
about Atom, oddly enough.  Since the spec says: The "label" attribute
provides a human-readable label for display in end-user applications.
(4.2.2.3)" I was assuming that was its actual role in the wild.

I may be a party of one on this point (though I don't think so), but
for my uses of Atom (essentially in the SynOA style [1]),
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is perfect for the sort of machine processing that I am
likely to do with an entry or feed.  And I have never had any problem
using a reader to monitor application processing, etc.  Inability to
use a stream processor is an obvious issue which I have not confronted
since I use DOM processing and a factory method that hands me the
correct entry object based on the atom:category of interest.

--peter

[1] http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2007/09/synoa_what.html