bcel-user@jakarta.apache.org

Re: Polymorphism and BCEL zagiatakrapovic Wed Oct 22 05:00:49 2008

Thx Arrin for your reply.

It won't be easy, definitely! :)

Under some (conservative) assumptions the set of classfiles should be closed.
Class loading over urls, changing the classpath during runtime will be
prohibited. I think, I will force the user to give me the classpath as args
argument to my instrumenting tool, use it to find recursively all class files
and build up the dependency graph out of the class files. The first thing in
the main() will be a check if the current classpath (the one the user gives the
JVM through -cp) is the same he provided to my tool.
This is an university project, therefore such conservative constraints at the
beginning may be acceptable. But I think you are perfectly right that a 100%
correct solution for all class loading use cases is maybe not feasible as any
change to code during run-time triggers a reevaluation and reinstrumenting of
the code of course this  performance dramatically.

I will try to realize this stuff. I'm still wondering how other people deal
with this stuff, at least if you want to intercept some method calls you will
have to deal with such issues.

thanks for your help

zagi