bcel-user@jakarta.apache.org

Re: How to replace a complete instruction in J2ME Bytecode Arrin Daley Mon Feb 09 22:00:31 2009

Hi Klaus

I've primarily only used JavaClass but should've probably used ClassGen.

Do you do a MethodGen.getMethod()? this returns a Method object which you should then make part of the JavaClass (via JavaClass.setMethods()) or ClassGen (via setMethods() or setMethodAt()) which you got the method from. Your supposed to do a setMaxStack() and setMaxLocals() before a call to getMethod() but your changes shouldn't change the stack or local variables, but it's probably good practice.

You will also have to get a ConstantPool via ConstantPoolGen.getFinalConstantPool() and make this part of your JavaClass, I don't think it's required for ClassGen as I think it happens when you ask for a JavaClass, not sure though, you might need to check. Note: sorry I remembered constant pools being associated with methods but they're associated with the class.

Basically you need to make sure your changes take effect in the JavaClass before you dump it, so ConstantPoolGen needs to create a new ConstantPool, MethodGen needs to create a new Method, and ClassGen (if you use it) needs to create a new JavaClass, otherwise the JavaClass will continue to have the old state and that's what will be dumped.
ClassGen may take care of some of this for you via getJavaClass().

Hope it helps,

Bye Arrin

Klaus Teller wrote:
Hi Arin,

Thanks for your feedback; very insightful. I went through all the steps, identified the right invokestatic, added it into the constant pool, and updated the index of the invokestatic.
Right now, the only issue i'm having is that the dump doesn't include my
changes, which might indicate that something is missing.

Any idea?

If you wish, i can send you the code offline.

Thanks again,

Klaus.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------