bcintbird-pics@googlegroups.com

Re: bcintbird-pics golden moment M Lancaster Fri Feb 03 23:00:28 2012

Hi Rick et al,
Forsman (1999) The Raptors of Europe and the Middle East, distinguishes 7
plumage types which includes adult. Juvenile (first CALENDAR year autumn/2cy
spring) to adult which is attained in the 7cy autumn and later.

This bird shows no signs of retained juvenile secondaries or primaries (to my
eyes) which would make it a 5cy/6cyspring and therefore hatched in 2007. This
assumes that Nearctic Golden Eagles follow the same timescale as Western
Palearctic and according to Liguori, (thanks Rick) this bird would be classed
as a sub-adult which he says is 4-5years old.

At least, that is how I assess the photo and the information.

Year of life is of course 1 yr less than calendar year AFTER first calendar
year. One cannot be one year of age until you achieve 12mths which of course
takes place in the second calendar year.

Barry
M B Lancaster,
Currently - Tenerife, Islas Canarias
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rick Howie
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 5:19 PM
  Subject: RE: bcintbird-pics golden moment

  HI Alistair: it is always nice to see pictures of Golden Eagles and I note
your perception at separating it from the various plumages of Bald Eagles which
often confuse people. The additional pictures on your website were very nice
and present some additional insight into this bird and its age.  Which brings
me to the subject of jargon.

  I noted there that you referred to it as a juvenile. The normal use of the
term "juvenile" is for a raptor in its first year of life after being born.
Based on the lack of white in the primaries (your bird has white at the base of
the secondaries) and in the base of tail in your bird plus the mottled body
visible in one of your web pictures, I would suggest that it is well on its way
towards adult plumage.  Typically, the term used would be "sub-adult" with a
numeral assigned (where possible) to suggest an age.  In this bird, I think it
could be a sub-adult lll . This would be age 3  so the bird would be in its 4th
 year of life. I don't think it has reached class lV.   Full adult plumage is
normally attained at age 5 when the bird is in its 6th year of life.

  I must confess that I don't have enough experience to sort out the variations
that can occur in the different age classes so I can't be totally sure of
placement in class lll or lV.   I think sub-adult l or ll birds would have more
white tail feathers retained after the partial molt out of the juvenile plumage.

  Categorization of Bald Eagles is done in the same way. Juvenile is used for
the bird in its first year of life and then the various sub-adult terms are
used to refer to the remaining plumages before the birds reach adult plumage at
age 5 or older.

  If anyone has any further opinions on this bird, it would be great to hear
them.

  Cheers

  Rick Howie

  Kamloops