bcintbird-pics@googlegroups.com

bcintbird-pics who done it? Alistair Fraser Mon Feb 20 19:00:22 2012

I have attached a picture of a puzzle.

Here is the background: I regularly monitor over a dozen pilings. I see a wide
range of birds visit them: Kingfishers, Tree Swallows, Ospreys, Herons, Bald
Eagles...well the list of species is long.

The point is: I am familiar with the look of all of these pilings; this
familiarity enables me to spot changes such as the arrival of a bird. Today
there was a rather odd arrival. All of a sudden an object appeared atop one of
the older pilings. The piling is perhaps 5 meters tall and sits in the water.
What is the object? And who (what) might have placed it there?

If you think I have the answer---sorry, I don't. To my eye, it looks like a
bone, but I don't actually know what is going on.

As an aside: for those of you who wondered about the story of the female otter
mentioned earlier. I just made a blog posting about her. It is at,

http://blog.kootenay-lake.ca/?p=4245

Nevertheless, the object on the piling: who done it?

Alistair

Alistair Fraser
Kootenay Lake