Loading...

bcintbird-pics@googlegroups.com

[Prev] Thread [Next]  |  [Prev] Date [Next]

Re: bcintbird-pics who done it? Alistair Fraser Tue Feb 21 16:00:34 2012

Ralph,

What you say makes sense. Yes, I have seen both (bald) eagles and ravens on 
those pilings. I suspect ravens. 

A footnote: the bone was there this morning, but had vanished by just after 
lunch. Whatever put it there, seems to have retrieved it. 

Alistair



On 2012-02-20, at 9:36 PM, Ralph Ritcey wrote:

> Hi Alistair,
> I would agree that the object is a piece of bone - most probably a section of 
> long bone from a beef cut by a butcher and sold as dog food. You don't 
> mention ravens visiting the pilings but they, along with eagles, are the most 
> likely suspects to carry a remnant from butchering and deposit it there.
> Ralph Ritcey
>  
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Alistair Fraser
> To: BCs Interesting Bird Pictures
> Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 6:38 PM
> Subject: bcintbird-pics who done it?
> 
> I have attached a picture of a puzzle.
> 
> Here is the background: I regularly monitor over a dozen pilings. I see a 
> wide range of birds visit them: Kingfishers, Tree Swallows, Ospreys, Herons, 
> Bald Eagles...well the list of species is long. 
> 
> The point is: I am familiar with the look of all of these pilings; this 
> familiarity enables me to spot changes such as the arrival of a bird. Today 
> there was a rather odd arrival. All of a sudden an object appeared atop one 
> of the older pilings. The piling is perhaps 5 meters tall and sits in the 
> water. What is the object? And who (what) might have placed it there?
> 
> If you think I have the answer---sorry, I don't. To my eye, it looks like a 
> bone, but I don't actually know what is going on.
> 
> As an aside: for those of you who wondered about the story of the female    
> otter mentioned earlier. I just made a blog posting about her. It is at,
> 
> http://blog.kootenay-lake.ca/?p=4245
> 
> Nevertheless, the object on the piling: who done it?
> 
> Alistair
> 
> Alistair Fraser
> Kootenay Lake
> 
> <whatsit120220s.jpg>
> 
> 
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "BCs Interesting Bird and Nature Pictures" group.
> To post to this group, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> For more options, visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/bcintbird-pics?hl=en-GB.
> 
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "BCs Interesting Bird and Nature Pictures" group.
> To post to this group, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> For more options, visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/bcintbird-pics?hl=en-GB.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BCs 
Interesting Bird and Nature Pictures" group.
To post to this group, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/bcintbird-pics?hl=en-GB.