bicyclelifestyle@googlegroups.com

RE: {BL} Riding Dangers in My Region Alan Smith Fri Feb 03 22:02:06 2012

I feel moved to count my blessings. I live in Berlin, Germany. Except for a
few very quiet side streets, we have bike lanes virtually everywhere,
generally alongside the sidewalk. Drivers are accustomed to cyclists, and
are generally quite courteous, checking before right turns to be sure they
don't hook a cyclist on the bike path. Generator-powered lights,. front and
rear reflectors, and bells, are a legal requirement here (except for sub
11-kg road bikes) and many people run their lights even during the day. We
have much more trouble with pedestrians blundering into the bike path,
especially around bus stops.

Before we moved here last summer, we lived in Moscow. Every trip on a
bicycle there was a life-or-death adventure.  No bike lanes outside of a few
parks, hideously overcrowded streets, and bloody-minded motorists. Maybe
that's why kids aren't allowed to ride in the street before age 14.

Al Smith

  _____