bicyclelifestyle@googlegroups.com

Re: {BL} Re: One Bike For 60 Years of Love and Abuse? Diafani Wed Feb 22 15:00:22 2012

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Over the last 5 years I've picked up
a mint 1974 Schwinn Paramount P-15, a very nice 1973 Raleigh Gran
Sport, a 1980 Miyata 610 15-speed, a 1979 Raleigh Super Grand Prix,
and a few other good bikes at local yard sales. None of which I paid
more than $20 for. In addition, I literally found a 1982 Trek and a
1970 Peugeot PX-10 in the trash. Unless you're racing or
mountainbiking, these bikes, with some upgrading, will function
reliably and comfortably for years. Let's not forget that the ultimate
cycle tourist, the Englishman Ian Hibbell, used a 1957 Freddie Grubb
racer for most of his epic adventures around the world:
http://www.bikebrothers.co.uk/ih_grubb.htm