blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org

Re: [blfs-support] Read ntfs file system Andrew Benton Mon Feb 27 14:01:20 2012

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:59:30 +0000
spiky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 27/02/12 20:43, Andrew Benton wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:58:53 +0000
> > spiky<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I have stared another Blfs 7.0 build and I,m having trouble with NTFS
> >> file system, I have built the 3.3 kernel marking all ntfs boxes. The
> >> build for blfs doesn't have anything installed except ssl, ssh a few
> >> graphics libraries. What  do I need to add to be able to read ntfs, My
> >> other blfs system reads ntfs but I have installed alot of other
> >> software, so maybe it was something that I had already installed, my
> >> other blfs uses 3.2 kernel FYI
> > To be able to mount an ntfs partition read only requires compiling the
> > kernel with ntfs support. I think you also need to compile in NLS,
> > support for the locale that the filesystem is in. You don't need to
> > install any other software, it's all about the kernel config.
> >
> > Andy
> Hi
>
> Here is the config file
>
> #
> # DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems
> #
> CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
> CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
> CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
> CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE=437
> CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET="iso8859-1"
> CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y
> CONFIG_NTFS_DEBUG=y
> CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y

CONFIG_NTFS_RW is very dodgy. As Nathan said, if you need to mount ntfs
read/write use ntfs-3g (a userspace program that uses FUSE). You should
avoid CONFIG_NTFS_RW, it's not safe.

Andy