blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org

Re: [blfs-support] BLFS Book - Version 2012-04-04 Enhancement gtk+-3.2.4 Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers Thu Apr 05 02:00:27 2012

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 22:25:00 +0100
Andrew Benton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Address what? Since the 19th of Feb the Gtk+-3 page has had:
> NB, you will need to install Gobject Introspection before you install
> atk-2.4.0, Pango-1.30.0 and gdk-pixbuf-2.26.0.
> How could it be any clearer?

It is not mentioned, that atk, pango and gdk-pixbuf have to be compiled also
with the directive "--enable-introspection=yes". The pages for these packages
do not mention this. The instructions say  "Recommended:
gobject-introspection-1.32.0 (Required if building GNOME)", but if I got it,
introspection seems to be /necessary/ if building gtk+-3 is intended:

Extract from Grimoire's Bug 26 dated 07/22/2011 (
http://www.sourcemage.org/issues/26 )
quote
-------------------------
When gdk-pixbuf2, pango, or atk is compiled without gobject-introspection one
of the following errors is thrown during gtk+3 cast:
Couldn't find include 'GdkPixbuf-2.0.gir' (search path: ['../gdk',
'/opt/kde4/share/gir-1.0', '/usr/share/gir-1.0', '/usr/share/gir-1.0',
'/usr/share/gir-1.0', '/usr/share/gir-1.0'])
This needs to be solved using appropriate sub depends.
-------------------------
unquote

> > You may want to consider adjusting the instructions in the book.
>
> In what way? --enable-introspection is the default for Gtk+-3 if
> gobject-introspection. You got your error because you didn't install
> Gobject-Introspection before you installed Gdk-Pixbuf. On the Gtk+-3
> page it already says that if you want introspection support you need to
> install Gobject Introspection before you install Atk, Pango and
> Gdk-Pixbuf. If you don't need introspection support and you're getting
> an error because of Gobject-Introspection the obvious solution is to
> configure with --disable-introspection.

See above. I went through atk,pango and gdk-pixbuf. As I do not use gnome, I
compiled using the instructions of the book. Then I built gtk+-3, with the
failure "Couldn't find include 'GdkPixbuf-2.0.gir" and I had to google.
As I have some experience building BLFS, I would think that the instructions
could get some additional explanations. But of course, you are by far more
experienced as I do and you may see it better.

Edgar

--
Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GPG Key ID:AD5C6F70