clamav-devel@lists.clamav.net

Re: [Clamav-devel] Can I join the Mac dev of clamAV Dale Walsh Sat Apr 07 03:00:24 2012

On Apr 04, 2012, at 11:50 AM, Tomasz Kojm wrote:

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 22:58:01 +0800 boyd yang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Guys,

Cay I join the Mac Dev of clamav?
How can I know something about Mac dev of clamav?

Hi,

are you a mac developer? Have you ever played with ClamAV on OS X?

Regards,

Some people claim to be a Mac developer and after examination of some of the builds they provide, it is clear they are nothing more than people with the ability to compile software on Mac OS X who posses a little programming knowledge and very limited programming skill.

While I think it is great that someone wishes to help in the Mac development department and I hope they bring their A-game because nothing annoys me more than having to rebuild something for someone else because the binaries they downloaded weren't built properly and this in turn reflect a poor reputation of the ClamAV developers for allowing such software to be released/distributed based on the implication that it endorses the binary distribution.

My early 10.4.x work can be seen at:
http://www.daleenterprise.com/info.php#module_clamav
http://www.daleenterprise.com/clamav_test.php <-- live test
http://www.daleenterprise.com/clamav_info.php

Recent work to support my clients still running 10.5.x can be seen at
http://www.convertit2mac.com/info.php#module_clamav
http://www.convertit2mac.com/clamav_test.php <-- live test
http://www.daleenterprise.com/clamav_info.php

An installer package can be downloaded from http:// www.daleenterprise.com/ClamAV-0.97.4.tar.gz for those Mac ClamAV developers who wish to examine the binaries for possible information which can be extracted from the binaries and support files, better for someone to download and distribute rather than passing out the link, it will remain available for about 30 days.

Clearly you can see that I am more than capable of building the software properly and having access to internal apple resources does help ensure these binaries are OS environment compliant, I just don't have the time to commit to development work but this doesn't mean I can't spend some time checking out builds before they are released if you intend to provide binaries for Mac OS X and hopefully the support will be for multiple OS versions and architectures rather than only the latest OS version.

When I built the binaries I modified the build scripts to make use of special features of the ADE (Apple Developer Environment) so that I could build for multiple architectures while targeting specific environments during the compiling/linking phases to avoid cross contamination during the build process, what this means is that when it compiles for arch ppc it compiles it in a ppc environment, when compiling in ppc64 is compiles this code in a ppc64 environment, when compiling in i386 is compiles this code in a i386 environment, when compiling in x86_64 is compiles this code in a x86_64 environment and these environments are not aware of each other or the differences between them, essentially the ADE is 4 separate OS environments accessible through a common gateway, each architecture is simultaneously built in it's environment then joined as a single binary, kinda like building on 4 separate machines then using lipo but much more complicated.

These binaries have been built in the ADE (Apple Developer Environment) and as such are guaranteed to be OS environment compliant, not compiled on an intel machine for a ppc build using multiple architectures or a PowerPC machine for an intel build using multiple architectures, the later does provide an acceptable alternative build if you modify some files to alter the build process for other architectures and you can get pretty damn close to an ADE build.

Currently ClamAV does not support architecture endian compensation compiling and this compensation is easy to add and it also does not properly support 32 and 64 bit builds due to the method used to calculate the size of things such as longs (as an example try configuring with CFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386 -arch ppc64 -arch x86_64") but shouldn't be too difficult to compensate for this based on the compiling architecture.

Providing binaries while a nice concept for the lazy, it has many pitfalls IMO, I believe it is better to provide a script which builds the software properly, this allows people to apply modifications and patches to the source and compile it knowing it will work properly and provide the correct results, again, this is just my opinion.

-- Dale