ddlutils-user@db.apache.org

Descending index in Firebird Chris Nash Tue Jan 29 00:05:16 2008

Hello there,

I've been working on a database upgrade framework for an enterprise
product we are working on based around Spring, Hibernate, Tomcat, and
using Firebird as the database. To allow upgrades and support of other
databases, the framework uses ddlutils to manage the schema. However I
have ran into several issues  such as those in
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DDLUTILS-28 - database entities
that ddlutils does not (yet?) support. I am looking for the "best
practice" to support these.

For example, I have a table in Firebird with an index marked as
"descending" (it is a significant performance improvement if the index
order matches the ORDER BY clause). When exporting the model using
ddlutils, the "descending" option on the index isn't preserved - there
are no such options in the index and index-column elements in the DTD.

I am looking for a workaround but wondered if any of this has perhaps
been decided on in response to DDLUTILS-28, so my questions are:

   - what is the best way to support such database-specific schema
using ddlutils?
   - is there a safe mechanism to extend the schema for anything
specific to a particular database vendor?
   - is anything planned in response for DDLUTILS-28? If so, I may be
able to contribute some patches for Firebird support in cases like
this one.

Thank you in advance for any help or information.

Chris Nash
Lexmark International, Inc.