derby-user@db.apache.org

Re: DB2 9.7 Connection with Apach e Derby - 10.5.3.1 on Windows 7 64- bit doesn’t work Katherine Marsden Thu Feb 02 22:13:40 2012

On 1/26/2012 1:17 PM, Moni567 wrote:

Kristian Waagan-2 wrote:
I'm afraid the short answer is that the DB2 drivers and Apache Derby
aren't compatible any more (I don't remember when this broke, or when
testing against DB2 drivers were abandoned).
Other who have more experience with DB2 drivers may be able to provide
more input, but if you upgrade Derby the DB2 drivers are likely to stop
working altogheter. The same may be true if you upgrade DB2 too.

I read about the incompatibility of newer Apache Derby Versions with DB2.
Strangely enough, I spoke with a person, who successfully uses Apache Derby
- 10.5.3.1 and DB2 9.7 on Windows 7 64-bit. He didn't do some extra
configuration and it works fine for him. I can't find the failure on my
system or differences between our setups.

The first and last release where IBM supported DB2 Runtime client with Derby was 10.1 and that combination is long out of service. There is no intention of ever reviving it and any thing that happens to have worked since then have been only luck. Surely they are completely broken now with 10.8 as we have heard recent reports to that on the list. I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5565 to have network server reject all non-Derby clients to make this more clear and avoid further confusion and people going down this dead end path.

As for other ODBC solutions for Derby I don't know. If there is a good ODBC to JDBC bridge then maybe that would work with embedded too which would be ideal. There is one listed on the UsesOfDerby page at http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby under ODBC Drivers. I removed the DRDA ones that don't claim any support of Derby.

Sorry I don't have better news.

Kathey