dev@lists.horde.org

[dev] Fwd: Re: AJAX Framework changes Gunnar Wrobel Fri Feb 03 21:01:18 2012

--
Core Developer

The Horde Project

e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
t: +49 700 6245 0000
w: http://www.horde.org

pgp: 9703 43BE
tweets: http://twitter.com/pardus_de
blog: http://log.pardus.de

Gunnar Wrobel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:

Michael M Slusarz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:

>Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>
>>> Since the UI is going to be updated for Horde 4.1, it is a
>>> necessity to move common AJAX components from the applications
>>> (e.g. IMP, Kronolith) into Horde_Core. In fact, I've already been
>>> working on this for a few days.

Sounds great.

>> Wouldn't this be a BC break? Or do you mean that this is going to be
>
>> done for H5?
>
>Yes, of course this is a BC break. But to redo the UI for 4.1, this
>HAS to be done. Or else we are never going to be able to expand our
>AJAX and mobile views. How would the UI re-write work without this
>(i.e. if every application continues to have its own AJAX framework?)
>
>This is impossible. As a thought experiment: how would the portal
>work, for example?
>
>And I thought we are over the whole BC breaking thing for applications
>
>since this is the whole point of having PEAR packages. IMP
>5.1/Kronolith 3.1 can require Horde 4.1 and a certain minimum version
>of Horde_Core. As long as existing methods don't completely disappear
>
>(so that older applications will still work), this is perfectly
>acceptable. We are over the whole "IMP 5.1 has to work with Horde
>4.0" thing.

I have no clue on the exact technical nature of the changes. But the way you
describe it I'm not certain it is a BC break. If this only *adds* functionality
we can require the newer package version in the applications that have been
adapted to the newer versions.

But of course one should still be able to run Imp-5.0 on Horde-4.1.

I don't see an immediate problem with this if functionality previosly present
in both Imp and Kronolith is now aggregated as an added, new feature in
Horde_Core-4.1.*.

>H5 will mean a fundamental change in the way the
>framework/applications work together like H4 did with switching to
>packages. Improving within the existing framework, which is what this
>
>does, is more than reasonable and, in fact, is expected.

Agreed.

Cheers,

Gunnar