dev@struts.apache.org

Re: Struts 2 Components Jeromy Evans Fri Feb 03 11:32:14 2012

Hi Christian,

We also started looking at creating custom for YUI while it was still in its
heyday (https://cwiki.apache.org/S2PLUGINS/yui-plugin.html).

I encountered several significant problems creating struts2 tags that attempt
to abstract the details of client-side frameworks away:
  - you end up with sub-optional tags that can't exploit all the API of the
client-side framework
  - the struts-dev developers end up supporting queries about JQuery, Dojo, YUI
etc, that are best supposed within those respective communities
  - you end up with javascript namespace mess, inline javascript mess,
complications regarding JS dependencies (in contrast to current best practices
of the respective frameworks)

Personally I'm more inclined to head in the opposite direction; drop struts 2
tags completely, leave it to the Results to provide ways to bind data from/for
the context; focus on Struts2's hot-pluggable action-based (request-focused)
framework with it's uniquely excellent InterceptorStack, ValueStack and Result
architecture.

eg. For related issues, see LinkedIn Engineering blog entry: Leaving JSPs in
the dust: moving LinkedIn to dust.js client-side templates
https://engineering.linkedin.com/frontend/leaving-jsps-dust-moving-linkedin-dustjs-client-side-templates

Regards,
 Jeromy Evans