django-developers@googlegroups.com

Re: App Engine support Waldemar Kornewald Sat Aug 29 09:01:16 2009

On Aug 28, 10:01 pm, Mike Malone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey hey,
>
> If we're gunna start talking about a more generic DB API then count me in!

Do you also intend to contribute some code? You could team up with
Mitch on the SimpleDB backend, for example (at least, you seemed to be
most interested in that).

> For what it's worth, I really think that a basic API that only
> supports a few simple operations (get, set, and delete, primarily) is
> the way to go. There's not enough commonality between datastores at a
> higher level than that. While you could "fake" some operations in
> code, I think that will end up causing problems. Trying to "fake" an
> order-by with a limit in a key-value store, for example, just seems
> like a bad idea.

Some higher-level features like JOINs can be useful *and* practical
even on non-SQL DBs. Of course, emulated operations have to be
accurate within certain limits. It's no use to have an emulated order-
by on a subset of the real match (e.g., for sorting by two attributes
in SimpleDB), but an emulated JOIN on small result sets or very simple
queries can be very useful. Of course, it's up to the developer to
make sure that he's within the limits.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald