django-developers@googlegroups.com

Re: auth.user refactor: the profile aproach Donald Stufft Mon Apr 02 20:00:44 2012

On Monday, April 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Alex Ogier wrote:
> I realize that arguing with a BDFL might get me nowhere, but I don't think
> that multi-profile + select_related + proxy attributes on the user model is
> the proper approach for users going forward. The proposal makes some basic
> sense as an incremental improvement on the current status quo of a built-in
> user with fixed 30-character identifier and single one-to-one profile. But in
> the larger scheme of things it moves further in the wrong direction, in my
> opinion, towards a model that addresses people's specific 80% questions
> (email-as-identifier, packageable extra fields) but not the general
> best-of-all-worlds mechanisms.
>
> Consider the other batteries-included frameworks out there. I think the three
> biggest ones are probably Ruby on Rails, ASP.NET (http://ASP.NET) MVC, and
> Play Framework. Something all three have in common, something I think would
> be valuable for Django, is that their User identity is absent, and
> authentication and authorization modules are added to a developer-created
> User model ad-hoc. I think it's fair to say, the ecosystem of third-party
> authentication mechanisms surrounding all three of these competitor
> frameworks is MUCH healthier than Django's, for the simple reason that it is
> much more flexible and sane to define your own user and plug in an
> authentication module then it is to plug authentication into a fixed user
> model that magically proxies back (even one as simple as a varchar identity +
> password).
>
> The basic idea is that "authentication" is something that can be provided for
> any model you like. When a user authenticates, they are providing some sort
> of authentication token to your project that proves they are who they say
> they are, and as a developer you are free to attach this authentication token
> to *whatever you like,* not only contrib.auth.models.User. There is a rich
> ecosystem of third party authentication apps for our competitor frameworks
> that all work on this principle. They can provide authentication flows that
> bounce the user back and forth to twitter.com (http://twitter.com), their
> oauth provider, browserid, etc. and it is precisely because they don't demand
> anything from a central object. Even something as simple as "all
> user.identifiers that start with 'oauth2$' belong to our auth mechanism"
> starts to open all sorts of security holes. What if someone wants to
> authenticate by email+password OR by third party proof of email ownership (my
> university has a mechanism
like this)? Well, if someone can manage to register an account belonging to
'[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])', maybe by triggering some
obscure email change recovery form wizard or something, then suddenly they
possess my account on Django.

> [...]
> > user to completely change without any warning simply by modifying a setting.
>
> I am not convinced that this must be so. Asking a developer to write their
> own User model is not the same thing as automagically reshaping
> contrib.auth.models.User based on settings. A developer-defined notion of
> identity is a thing that should be codified in software by constructing a
> model. This community seems fixed on the idea that whatever model the
> developer comes up with to satisfy the bizarre constraints of his particular
> website, it must eventually be mounted at auth.User lest the world come
> crashing down as foreign keys break, middleware throws exceptions and
> California slides into the pacific ocean.
>
> Nearly every other framework out there does this the opposite way: to
> authenticate with a third-party service, you add fields to your identity
> model to support whatever credentials are necessary. Not the other way round,
> where auth modules define models that have OneToOneFields to auth.User that
> uses an AUTH_PROFILES setting to magically proxy back.
>
> I get that Django's core is very accustomed to the relational database mode
> of thinking: "If a User might own a Twitter handle, then let's create a table
> of twitter handles in the twitter-auth app, and foreign key back to the
> default User model". It's really not that bad to go the other way for a
> moment, and say "If a User might own a Twitter handle, then let's add a
> twitter_handle field to Users." The reason being that the latter is *so much
> more flexible*. You can simulate the first with the second, but not vice
> versa. Twitter-auth might not need its own table (in fact, it shouldn't need
> its own table). If you really wanted to, you could make one, and foreign-key
> *from* the user model which gives you everything the first solution has, with
> no need to created magical .prof1, .prof2 proxy attributes. You could even
> let users sign in with multiple handles with a many-to-many. Heck, maybe your
> blog posts have their own twitter credentials, I don't know.
>
> So here's the short version of my proposal, which I plan on writing up in
> full tomorrow: Break auth as it stands into reusable pieces. Let people write
> their own user models, optionally using those pieces. Provide straightforward
> settings for any contrib apps that absolutely *must* have a specific model to
> key on (ideally none, but comments and admin probably need shims). Document
> the new wave of best practices, borrowed straight from the frameworks that
> got this right from the start: Write your own user, decide what identity
> means (and hence, what your login forms look like), add in whatever
> authentication mechanisms you like, add in whatever authorization mechanisms
> you need (with specific instructions on what contrib.admin demands from your
> model), and run with that.
>
> Sorry for the rant, hopefully I'm not burning too many bridges,

Identity doesn't have anything to do with automatically dispatching users. All
it is is a unique identifier. That's all this proposal honestly enforces that
your users have. Some single piece of identifiable data that can be used to
differentiate. This could be a username, or an email address. It could be a
random string. Anything you want.

In your example you might have a TwitterProfile that provides 2 fields,
"authenticated_by_twitter" and "twitter username". Then if you want to check
how a person authenticated to your site, you'd merely check if
user.data["authenticated_by_twitter"] was True. The identifier doesn't need to
have that data codified in it, (but it could!) and I honestly do not think the
statement "all users must have 1 single string of any length that uniquely
identifies them" is that big of a burden.