emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Re: [Emc-users] Brass finish question? gene heskett Wed Feb 22 13:01:20 2012

On Wednesday, February 22, 2012 03:47:20 PM gene heskett did opine:

> Greetings all;
>
> The new encoder wheel I made last night, by fiddling with the math that
> determines the slot width until it has virtually no side wobble of the
> 1/16" mill at the inner apex of the slot, makes me ask a question about
> what is the best way to chemically blacken brass, hopefully with the
> intention of preventing reflections from the sides of the cut in the
> brass that might artificially broaden the effective aperture of the
> slot.
>
> So, how does one chemically blacken brass?
>
> Ideally something that destroys any and all surface gloss, leaving a
> dead flat microscopic felt like finish.
>
> I considered paint, but at those angles of reflectance, even black paint
> might as well be glossy white.  Plus I don't have any other than some
> ebony wood stain. ;-)
>
> Cheers, Gene

The problem can I believe, be seen in the attached .jpg.  And yes, now that
the software problems in cutting it incrementally have been addressed, a
4th disk will be cut that is hopefully more consistently cut.  My
sacrifical HDPE caused this one to warp about 10 thou, so I will make
another using a wooden sacrifice pad, and cut about 5 thou deeper to get
all the way through with out having to peck some of those slots out with my
pocket knife.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
HOST SYSTEM NOT RESPONDING, PROBABLY DOWN. DO YOU WANT TO WAIT? (Y/N)