engine-users@lists.rails-engines.org

Re: [Engine-Users] Engines for Rails 2.0 Sven Fuchs Mon Jan 21 06:06:29 2008

Hi James,

I've now managed to look through the codebase.

Basically I'd like to start refactoring from my patch and successively
remove duplicate functionality.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to partition this up (you asked for
investigations as to which parts of the codebase I'd want to touch).
As far as I can see there's:

- the Engines' plugin class could probably be replaced by a module
that would be mixed into the Rails::Plugin class
- some of the Engine module could probably moved to
Rails::Plugin::Loader or to a Engine::PluginLoader that extends from
the latter
- a dedicated Engine::PluginLocator might be superflous then because
the Rails::Plugin class would be used and Rails::Plugin::Loader seems
to keep track of the plugin instances (is it accessible though?)
- Engines::RailsExtensions::RailsInitializer could be removed (it
already is in my patch)

These might be fine as they are:

Engines::PluginMigrator
Engines::RailsExtensions::ActiveRecord
Engines::RailsExtensions::Dependencies
Engines::RailsExtensions::Migrations
Engines::RailsExtensions::PublicAssetHelpers
Engines::RailsExtensions::Templates

I've also looked for test suites in the repository. There seem to be
several applications for testing different Rails versions. The "rails
edge" application doesn't seem to have any engines installed, the
tests seem to rely on them though ("alpha_engine" etc.). Am I missing
something obvious?

Am 20.11.2007 um 18:54 schrieb James Adam:

> On 11/20/07, Sven Fuchs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> See this patch: http://pastie.caboo.se/120187 and the top portion of
>> environment.rb here: http://pastie.caboo.se/120188
>
> Hi Sven,
>
> Thanks for these patches - I'm definitely keen to get a Rails 2.0
> compatible version of the engines plugin released as soon as possible.
> Until recently I was holding out for some changes to the internal
> mechanisms used by Rails to load plugins
> (http://dev.rubyonrails.org/changeset/8115), but now that those
> changes have been accepted I hope to fix up the engines plugin soon.
>
> Since Rails' own "native" plugin loading mechanism has now caught up
> with some of the enhancements that the engines plugin used to provide
> (a proper plugin model, loading all remaining plugins with :all, etc)
> I'm keen to trim down the changes that the engines plugin makes so
> that the plugin stays as lightweight as possible.
>
> If you're keen to contribute, any investigations as to which parts of
> the existing codebase (along with your Pastie'd patches) would be
> greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks again,
>
> James
>
> --
> * J *
>  ~

sven fuchs                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
artweb design           http://www.artweb-design.de
gr├╝nberger 65           + 49 (0) 30 - 47 98 69 96 (phone)
d-10245 berlin          + 49 (0) 171 - 35 20 38 4 (mobile)